Sunday 9 October 2011

Back to training on the Coast







Hi again,

No blog for ages, then 2 in 2 days. Must mean I'm finding some time in my new schedule.

I was planning a run today again, don't get much time to run anymore really now. I wanted to do at least 6 miles ish, ended up doing about 10.

I parked up just outside East Portlemouth as I wasn't sure where I could park.

Warm up jog along the road and down towards the passenger ferry entrance. Eventually I got to Mill Bay where Tim and I had met Kris on the 103 at about 4am. Looks very different in gentle sunlight, rather than darkness!

Again, this run now, as probably all my future Coastpath runs, at least in the South Devon area will remind me of that epic time, happy memories of the most challenging thing I have ever done. (except maybe launching my own business haha)

I ran through the woods, Autumn really hits the coast areas first, leaf cover was thick and the end of my hiking pole was stacked up with them. It was like running through a thick wash of dry water, sounds odd, but it's the only way I can describe it.

I ran out on the upper path, the one that Tim and I had come along, through the sheep field of 'many eyes' there were none in there today, but evidence that they had been. Maybe we scared them off running through with our head torches at 3am!

I then moved on to the lower path and on to Gammon Head, a very impressive rock formation here, quite dramatic in it's form.

I met many others out there today, enjoying the sunshine to start with, then the clouds came in and the wind picked up. There were proper hikers and others on a day out. As usual, one miserable woman out with her family, all thanked me for waiting except her, she must have heard my comment as I went on my way. 'No problem, anytime, rude woman!' Funny thing is I saw them again on my return journey and she couldn't look me in the face. Some people have no manners!

Anyway, I made my way to Prawle Point, I was going to continue to Lannacombe but the rain had kicked in and the wind was epic! Between Prawle Point and Gammon Head the wind was so strong it knocked me over! Luckily it was blowing away from the sea and blew me into a rock. I'm glad I made the decision to head back after that haha.

I took a few shots just for Tim again today as we were seriously dicing with death on the rock section of path. Literally one foot out of place and we would have gone over the edge. I made Tim follow me on these sections and stick to the right, tight to the rock, so thankful we got through it ok, particularly as we were in rain then too!

As I ran back the wind caught the sea in it's path and I got to feel the salty breeze on my face. I love to smell and taste the sea, it puts everything into perspective, makes it real. It's a genuine feeling of nature and what really goes on and at this time of year, my absolute favourite time, today was genuine therapy for any stress I may be feeling from my new business.
Yes, I am officially sorted, at least until tomorrow! haha

So back to my van I ran :)

As I got back I did my usual strip off into a dry top, only to have a car of about 5 people drive round the corner! Comedy timing! Thank goodness for sports bras! :)

Take care and I'll be back very very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment